Sunday, October 5, 2014

2014 Race for the Cure in Downtown Little Rock

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~
 
A wonderful Susan G Komen Race for the Cure in downtown Little Rock yesterday! And, a fantastic day it was, indeed! 

I had a great personal run - a fantastic feeling for this ole (and old) gal.   Love admiring the sea of pink - thousands of people supporting each other, walking hand-in-hand; heart-to-heart; celebrating survivorship; and in memory of loved ones who lost their battle with breast cancer. 

Here are a few photos...

It's always nice to chat with people at the starting line. This year a young lady and I exchange pleasantries. She asked me how many years for me as a survivor - she shares that she runs for her grandmother who lost her battle with breast cancer years ago. We both allow tears to surface in our eyes. I comment, in laughter and tears, that it's a very emotional day. "I cry as I run," I tell her. She says, "Me too."  
She takes my picture - I take her picture!  You can see her in the photo above - that's her close to my waiving arm.   She has the cute high pony tail and sunglasses.   She's a veterinarian in Rogers.  Oh! how wonderful - now I must show her a picture of my Camille.  Yes, I did!  I show her my sweet Camille dressed in her pink for breast cancer. 
My precious Camille in her pink!
Ok, back to race day...It's about one minute til start time. We hug and embrace to support one another and we're off!  
L to R:  Linda, Me, Janie

After my run, I met up with Linda and Janie to celebrate!  Off to breakfast with these two sweet ladies.  I often run with them on early mornings runs - early early mornings - 5am!  I mean these two get up early!  
"Cheers"
These two special ladies treated me to breakfast and mimosas at ONE ELEVEN in the Capital Hotel, downtown Little Rock.  My oh my, it was delicious.
Irish Breakfast!  And, that mimosa is almost finished!
I'll even tell you that I had the Irish Breakfast of two poached eggs, on bacon grits, with a roasted tomato.  Yes, that's a biscuit on my plate.  Hey, I just ran a hard run, pushing my leg muscles way beyond their normal working capacity.  I want a biscuit!  :-)

A collage of my morning!
 
Move, be moved!  It definitely was a day that moves you - emotionally, physically, spiritually!  Hugs and kisses - Laughter and tears!
 
Gayla
p.s.
After I get home, Camille and I go for our walk in the park.  She wore her pink again...well, you probably want to see a couple more pictures of her, right? 
 
~G



No comments:

Post a Comment