Sunday, March 10, 2013

April Showers Bring May Flowers; But, it's March!

The Gayla Pink Apple
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
April Showers Bring May Flowers;
April Showers Bring May Flowers,  Hydrangea

What, April?  It's not April, Yet!
I know, I'm Rushing it a Bit!

Do this in the fall. Spring bulbs in Pots: store the potted bulbs in an unheated garage or storage room. You'll need to water every few weeks since the pots won't have access to rainfall. In addition to small pots, pack bulbs "shoulder-to-shoulder" in big containers for an abundant display in spring. Toss aside the spacing recommendations so you can get as many bulbs into the container that will fit.
 
I don't know about you, but, I'm ready for some flowers!  May flowers? OK! But, I'll take March and April flowers too.  As for April showers, well, I'll always take the showers whether April or not, since rain is usually a good thing!  But, for now, I am ready for some spring time weather, pretty green grass and pops of color, around town with azaleas blooming, and pretty flowers smiling.
 
I must admit, I am not much of a gardener!  Some ten years ago, I worked with the Little Rock Council of Garden Clubs Inc. - so, you can imagine, I was around many wonderful gardeners and flower show ladies.  You would think some of that gardening talent and passion rubbed off on me. 
 
But, no, not really!  I wanted to love it - I tried to love it - I even told myself I loved it.  But, it seems everything I planted in my yard had to be replaced or replanted numerous times.  I felt I was spinning my wheels, not to mention spinning my money right out of my pocket!   Replacing shrubs and buying supplies.  I did not give up!  I finally admitted to myself, the truth!   It is just not my thing! 
 
I do love the pretty flowers blooming, but I didn't love the other parts of it.  And, another thing, I began to notice many of those ladies were adorned with a willing man who would do the preparation, digging, planting, watering, and weeding; as well as maintenance of that impeccably manicured lawn and landscaping!  Yes, I know - some women do it all.  But, many don't!   These ladies I am talking about didn't need help deciding what to plant or where to plant what.  They loved doing that part and their 'right hand man'  did what she told him to do. 
 
Not this gal!   Sometimes a girl needs to come clean and admit the truth.  I am not a gardener and my husband doesn't yearn for a perfectly manicured lawn or flowers for me.  But, wait! Maybe I could try to do a little bit of something on my own to make my yard look a little better! Just maybe!    Hmmmmm, Yes? No? Maybe? But Maybe Not? Wish-washy, huh? One minute I'm admitting that I am not a gardener, and the next minute, I'm backtracking thinking maybe I could be if the circumstances were right!  Oh dear!  I'll need to think about that.
 
There is a part of me that thinks I might enjoy parts of it if the circumstances were different. My yard is a difficult one - rocky - slopes - more than I can handle. It takes more than digging a hole and planting a shrub or flower, if you plan on it surviving, anyway. Well, let's not go there! 
 
Maybe there is still hope for me though.  I am planning to plant some pretty flowers in that concrete two tier bird bath that has been sitting empty in the back yard for many years.  I am going to plant flowers in it in memory of our sweet little Shih Tzu, Casey, who passed away a month ago. 
Ugly Now, Soon to be Pretty!
The bird bath sits in what was her area of the yard - you know - her place she always went to do her business!  LOL!  But, none the less, it's still "her spot in her yard."  But, instead of the poop and scoop area, it's going to become the blooms of beauty, just like she was! 
 
For now, I'll just admire and ooh and awh over your pretty flowers, and perfectly manicured lawn, and do my best to give you much phrase and accolades over all the hard work you put into all the beauty you are sharing with me. 
 
Showers today,
Flowers tomorrow - or soon, I hope,
Gayla

No comments:

Post a Comment