Saturday, August 3, 2013

Polishing Silver

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~
Today was polishing silver day at my house. 
 
Normally this would be on my "to do" list for November getting ready for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
Silver Service Before Polished
However, I find myself doing it in August!  Why?  A couple of reasons . . . my silver tea / coffee service which sits on the sideboard in my dining room looked awful.  I suppose I haven't glanced over at it in a while and lordy when I looked at it last week - while a friend was over for coffee - I thought "gosh, Gayla, that is bad, you need to polish that--and soon."
Tray being polished - Pretty Yucky
Much easier to rinse a tray this large in the bath tub.
 Tray after polished
I can remember a time in my life when I would roll my eyes at someone who said they had to polish their silver. But, I am older now and quite confident in who I am; therefore, I am not relucant to admit that I absolutely love silver, cyrstal, china, etc.   

 
Back to polishing...not a fun thing to do, you think? As I ponder -- it may not be the most fun thing, but frankly I don't mind doing it because I know the end result will make me smile. It's kind of like exercising or running for me too - I don't necessarily love doing it, but I love having done it.  
After polished - It's beautiful!
I love seeing the silver service after it's polished shining brightly back at me.  I enjoy glancing over at it as I walk through the dining room daily - which I do quite a few times a day to get from my bedroom to the kitchen. 
 
Oh, and the other reason for polishing it in August ?   Yes, I have a couple of friends, Alice and Ouida, coming over this week for lunch.  I haven't seen them in many many moons - like 30 plus years.  Alice served as one of the wedding reception attendants at my wedding in 1981.  I haven't seen Ouida since I was 25 years old.  That's 33 years ago! 
Silver coffee urn polished and looking good.
I like it when people make an effort to put their best foot forward, so to speak.  I am glad for my friends/guests to know that I cleaned the house (well Tish cleaned, LOL)  - polished the silver - and put some thought into our menu. 

So, the silver service needs to be shining - don't you agree!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment