Friday, August 30, 2013

A "Virginia" Birthday Lunch Today

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~
 
Most of you know that Virginia is my dear friend of many years.  Today, we celebrated Virginia's 86th birthday with lunch at my house.
Italian Cream Cake (A fav of the birthday lady)
Her actual birthday was last Sunday, August 25th. Matching up calendars rendered today as our day to celebrate her. 
Virginia and me
August 30, 2013
I met Virginia in 1981 when I went to work for the IRS.  We have been good friends since.  
Beth, Virginia, and Caroline
August 30, 2013
IRS colleagues, Beth and Caroline, joined us for lunch today.  Beth and I worked together for about 11 years - which is how long I worked for the IRS.  We worked in the same department.  Virginia and Beth are both IRS retirees. 
Top photo: Beth showing off the cake at my Baby Shower at the IRS
Bottom photo:  Me and Caroline during my baby shower. 
September 12, 1989 -two weeks before baby Blair was born!
The above photo is the only one I could find from the days
when Beth, Caroline, and I worked together.  
Virginia and I have kept in touch and remained friends all through the years. I've written several blog posts about her and reference her often.  Beth and I lost touch through the years and reconnected a couple years ago via facebook.   She is very kind to tell me that she enjoys my blog posts.  It has been nice reconnecting with her via social media. I was thrilled to have her join us today to celebrate Virginia's birthday.  I know Virginia was pleased too. 
Floral centerpiece for luncheon today
Caroline is my sweet and dear friend and she still works for the IRS.  She's young :) ---  I hired Caroline in 1988 - she doesn't give me credit for that, she doesn't acknowledge that Ron may have interviewed her first, but he asked me if I would consider hiring her - he had interviewed her - liked her - thought she would be a good employee.  As manager of the unit, it was an easy hire for me because that meant I didn't have to go through all those applications and another interview process.  Beth recommended Caroline to Ron. So, even though she claims Ron hired her - really Beth and I did, didn't we, Beth?  

A few more old photos...
Caroline and Beth preparing for my baby shower - IRS - 1989
Caroline decorating the conference room for my baby shower - IRS - 1989
Virginia (seated) at my baby shower - IRS - 1989
Caroline is very dear to me and we have kept in touch through the years.  I was Caroline's first supervisor and since we've kept in touch for 23 or so years now - I think that speaks for itself.  We were a good team.  Caroline has since promoted to higher positions and has a successful career with the IRS. We talk and see each other often.    

August has been a great month of reconnecting with friends I haven't seen in years.  Also celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, births, etc. with friends I see and talk with often.  My sister is an August birthday gal; a dear friend became a grand in August adding a baby boy to the clan; my grandfather and Virginia share the same birthday - if he were living today, he would be 102.  I'm ready for September now!

It should go without saying - but, I'll say it anyway -- Virginia is my kindred spirit - we bonded years ago - she is my dear friend for life.  Happy Birthday Virginia - I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment