Monday, September 2, 2013

Coco Chanel wore white year-round...

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~
 
Last week, still in the month of August, I saw a post on facebook referencing the old rule that one could no longer wear white after labor day. 

And, heavens, just this morning one of the guys on one of the early morning local news shows commented that after today you can't wear white.  Really, what does he know anyway!  LOL  -  I was quite surprised he would even mention something like that. 

I, too, have said that many times.  I've heard it said all my life.  But quite a few years back designers argued the so-called rule and we saw 'winter white' clothing often.  I admit I seldom wear anything but black clothing - but if I am not wearing black most often I will be wearing white.  So, although you may not see me wearing white in the fall / winter months, I no longer think you're committing a faux pas wearing white whenever you want.  

I think the fabric is the important element in wearing white during the winter months.  I am not saying that's a rule either - it's just my take on it.  I believe a winter white wool coat is beautiful.  It 's a nice perk from the drab black winter coat.  A nice winter white blazer equally as nice.  Doubt you will see me wearing a pair of white linen pants in the winter months.   But, I would definitely wear a white wool coat, blazer or pants. 

So, I think it's the summer white capri pants or the linen shirt that needs to be hung in storage for the winter months.  Most likely because they're summer fabrics not because they're white. 

So, the old "RULE" of not wearing white after Labor Day is passe.  Although many southern women claim it is a 'southern' rule - it's not.  It has been talked about for years all throughout the country.  It's not a southern thing.  If you don't think so - just google it!  LOL

Don't get me wrong - I doubt you'll see me wearing very much white after Labor Day either - I just don't think it's considered a faux pas. 

After all, Coco Chanel wore white year-round.  Enough said! :)











     
     
     



No comments:

Post a Comment