Friday, September 27, 2013

Bald, Brave, and Beautiful

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~

Today I witnessed a young lady getting her head shaved.  She appeared to be in her 30's, maybe.  I sat watching and observing as the stylist ran the clippers over the girl's head.  She had dark hair, beautiful skin, and what appeared to be family or friends gathered around her.  One lady was snapping photos like she was a photographer capturing the moment. 
 
I was in Scarlet - a clothing store in the Pleasant Ridge Shopping Center.  There is a salon in the back of the retail store.  I didn't realize there was a salon in the store until recently.  I couldn't help but watch the girl as her beautiful long black hair fell to the floor.
 
My body was flooded with memories.  I knew exactly what she was feeling, how strong she had to be at that very moment.  After glancing back into the salon, quite a few times, (where the hair stylists are) I decided I'd go back there and speak to the young lady.
 
I took her hand, asking her if she had cancer.  Yes, she replied with a smile, breast cancer.  I said:  I am a survivor - 8 year survivor...I know how you feel at this very moment.  Just know you are beautiful and stay strong...you'll be a survivor, too.  I'll be praying for you and keeping you in my thoughts for the strength of the days ahead.
 
We hugged and I squeezed her hand gently as our eyes met and unspoken words were exchanged.  As I walked away tears sat behind my eyelids. 

I knew it was OK to ask the cancer question. Many people hesitate to ask someone about their cancer. Being a breast cancer survivor myself, I knew it was 100 percent OK to inquire. Most cancer patients and survivors are not offended - usually the opposite - when people ask about it. 
 
Just a reminder how proud I am to be a breast cancer SURVIVOR, and the importance of women supporting each other and staying strong as women of all ages battle breast cancer. 
 
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  The Susan G Komen Race for the Cure is in a few weeks - October 19th.  Downtown Little Rock will, once again, be a sea of pink! 

Pink is Beautiful,
Gayla
 


No comments:

Post a Comment