Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Revenue Officer Retirees Lunch/Reunion...

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~
I had lunch today with a group of 15 men...how lucky can a girl be?    This really takes me back many years.
 
I joined a group of retired Revenue Officers from the Internal Revenue Service for lunch today.  I worked for the IRS from 1981 to 1992 - eleven years.  I left my job to become a stay-at-home Mom.
 
L to R: Ron, Doyne, and Gayla at the lunch gathering today.
I started as the secretary to the head of the Collection Department in the Little Rock Office.  After a few years, I went to a Revenue Representative position; then a Revenue Officer in the field; and then manager of a unit before leaving the agency.
Retiree Doyne Plummer speaks to the group today.
Mr. Plummer was the Chief, Collection Division back in the day!
Retiree Ron Stewart coordinated the lunch/reunion today.
When I think back on my days at the IRS, I reminisce of great people and very hard jobs.  We were criticized by the public, yet, I can vouch for the Little Rock people, we worked hard.  We were paid well, which is why most of us stayed as long as we did!!   We also worked at very tough jobs enforcing the tax laws.  The IRS doesn't make the tax laws - Congress does.  Although that's a true statement, we were criticized, yell and screamed at, and verbally abused anyway. 
Me in 1981 - IRS - year I was hired
Secretary to Collection Division Chief, Little Rock
Collection Division Directory 1985
Mr. Plummer and me!
Ron brought the 1985 Collection Division Directory today and I couldn't resist taking a picture of this page.  One retiree told me today that I was the "boss behind the scenes."  He was right.  :)

My first manager was Doyne Plummer.  He is one of the nicest men I've ever known.  He was professional, supportive, and had high expectations.  He didn't accept second rate work.  It was great to see him today.   
Me in 1986/87 - IRS
Revenue Officer in the field, Collection Division, Little Rock
Another colleague I admired a lot is Ron.  He, too, was at the lunch today - actually he coordinated the gathering.  Ron was my direct manager when I entered the management arena.  The reunion today was a group of retired revenue officers and I was delighted when I received the invitation. I'm not officially a retiree from the IRS. I feel honored to be included in the group of invitees though. Lordy, I hadn't seen these people in 20 - 25 years.   
Me in 1989 - IRS
Chief, Collection Support Function, Little Rock District
Some people I didn't recognize. I'm sure many didn't recognize me, either. But, as soon as I heard their name, my mind would click.  Here are a few pictures from today's get-together...
L to R:  Retirees Larry Kutscher, West Memphis; and
Jim Knight, Batesville offices (Jim now lives in Dover) 
L to R:  Retirees Charles Casey, Little Rock; Dave Schroeder, Little Rock;
Harold Humphrey, Hot Springs; and Larry Kutscher, West Memphis
Retirees Larry Robert, Little Rock office; Henry Carroll, Fayetteville;
Joe Woosley; and Ron Stewart, Little Rock. 
Henry Carroll didn't recognize me until he heard my voice. 
We talked on the phone often. 
He called me the "boss behind the scenes."  :)
Retirees Milton Barrett and Charles Casey, Little Rock
Lunch with a group of men!!! How bad can that be, anyway!  There were not a lot of female revenue officers back in the 80's.  What girl doesn't enjoy being surrounded by a group of men?  I guess I was the only female with the courage to show up!  LOL!  kidding  :)  Actually, there were only three women invited.  That pretty much tells you how few women were Revenue Officers years ago. 
 
Gayla
 
(Retirees also in attendance but not pictured:  David Hayes, Conrad Jacobson, Wade Sumpter, & David Killough.)

 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment