Monday, October 14, 2013

Backyard Renovation Phase II begins...

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Ladies, do monthly self exams and get a mammogram!!! 
The fall months rolling around, and the cooler temperatures in the air, have me starting on Phase II of my backyard garden renovation.
 
My to do list looks like this...
1.  Repair broken brick steps;
2.  Remove rotted landscape timbers;
3.  Extend brick retaining wall;
4.  Privacy wall or screen on patio to block the dog agility course in the neighbor's back yard;
5.  Perimeter walk / path;
6.  Pergola!
That's ALL!  Whoa! 
 
Phase II of the backyard renovation is a little lengthy, but the bottom line is prioritizing the list.  Seems every project is a big project.  Some things on my list are "needs" and others are "wants."  The needs are pulled to the top of the to do list!  You get that, don't ya? 
 
Since the brick steps were broken and dangerous, they became the first project.  Sounds simple - but, it's not.  Since I can't rebuild old loose brick steps myself, that means hiring someone to do it.  It takes time searching to find a brick guy that I trust, who will give me a reasonable price, and do a reasonably good job.  More than that - someone that will show up and do it! :-)  This means calling my garden club council ladies - avid gardeners are always in the know!
 
Brick guy hired and he showed up!  I'm pleased!  He did what I asked him to do.  Check item #1 off my list!  And, a bonus!  He can do items #2 and #3 - remove the rotted landscape timbers and extend the brick retaining wall. 
Check! Check! Check!
Progress being made!
Here are a few pictures... 
October 5, 2013 work begins
Brick guy starts repairing the brick steps. 
In this photo, the top step has been repaired and the rest shows the condition of the steps before he started.  One had to be very cautious to walk down the steps - they were borderline dangerous.  Keep in mind, this is repair work using the same bricks and making them safe again. 
Brick steps finished! 
Need to replant the liriope on the right side that had to be removed.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Item #2 - Remove old landscape timbers...
Old rotted landscape timbers were removed. 
Ready to extend the brick retaining wall.  
Another view!
Item #3 - Extend brick retaining wall... 

 
Extending the Brick retaining wall is complete - still need sides to steps.
Almost finished!  This photo really doesn't show the improvement to match the reality of it.  I think in a fairly short time the color difference will not be as pronounced.  I knew the brick wouldn't match.   I mean, seriously, how can you match brick that's this old?   I'm OK with it not matching, some of the cascading ground covers along with the small variegated ivy and the small green needle-point ivy will cascade down over the brick, some day!

 It's FINISHED!!! October 12, 2013
Still need to smooth out the dirt pile. 
The brick retaining wall extended, where the rotted landscape timbers were removed, is now finished.  The color difference is already diminishing a little!   Hopefully this will hold the dirt now. 
 
Back to my "to do" list.  Hmmmm, what, if anything, will be next?  I don't know, yet.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment