Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Wicked Great Evening...

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Ladies, do monthly self exams and get a mammogram!!!

A wicked great evening indeed. 
Me and Blair --- On our way to see Wicked
Blair and I went to see the musical Wicked at the Robinson Center tonight.  It was a great evening just being with Blair, and I enjoyed the musical, too.
Blair tonight at Robinson Center, Little Rock --- Wicked
                             
Me tonight at Robinson Center, Little Rock --- Wicked
 Blair absolutely love love loved the musical Wicked when she was younger.  It's her, all time, favorite musical.  We saw it in Chicago (she was in high school) and in New York, for her 18th birthday; then, we saw it again in Chicago.  We also made a quick weekend drive once to Memphis to see it.  Seeing Wicked tonight in our hometown made our 5th time to see it.  Did I say we love this musical???  We both still love the musical as much as ever.  
Want to play a tune from Wicked?
A book of the songs from Wicked sits on our piano!  I bet Blair knows almost every word that is going to be said - and every song - I'd put money on it.  She referenced the song Defying Gravity, sung by Elphaba, in her high school senior chapel talk...
"Just remember the gorgeous words of the unique and green-faced Elphaba, “It’s time to trust your instincts, close your eyes, and leap.”
Emerald City Curtain-Robinson Center-LR
I referenced words from the song For Good  in my eulogy at my grandmother's funeral four years ago.  Talking about the good I got from her and speaking of how "people come into our lives for a reason... we are led to those who help us most to grow...I know I'm who I am today because I knew you."
The Chicago page from Blair's Senior Scrapbook - a required English project!
Our first trip to Chicago was to vist colleges and we just happened to buy tickets to Wicked.  The second trip, a few years later, was purposely to see the musical again.  We made it a mother/daughter trip - leaving the Friday after Thanksgivng - so we combined a big shopping spree and did our Christmas shopping that year on Michigan Avenue!!! 
The New York page from Blair's Senior Scrapbook
My mother, Blair, and I saw Wicked  in NYC while there for Blair's 18th birthday trip to the Big Apple.  We dressed up, took a limo to the theater; then a bicycle taxi back to the hotel afterwards.  Man oh man, we went from one extreme to the other...limo / bicycle taxi!  Go figure.  I tell ya...that bicycle taxi ride had a lot of giggling and laughing going on in it.  Again, the musical was great.


 I will even venture to say, if you were to meet Blair on the street today,  I'll bet the keys in her hand will still have a Wicked key chain dangling. :)

We loved seeing the musical again tonight.  We had great seats...orchestra row F seats 212 and 213 - yelp, that's us! Call me a snob - I don't care. If I'm going to go, I want a dang good seat. I've been known to not go to performances if I can't buy orchestra seats.   I don't have to be super close - even though row F is row 6 - I call that pretty close. LOL!    I do, however, have to be in the orchestra section or I don't go. I'm easily distracted by noise around me. People digging in their purse, checking their cell phones, or a young child that loses interest quickly, bother me. If I am going to pay those prices to see a musical such as Wicked - well, lets' just say...I want a wicked good seat!  
Robinston Center - LR - Stage Curtain
I'll end my blog by saying that although seeing Wicked tonight in our hometown really didn't measure up to seeing it in NYC or Chicago, it definitely brought out the good in me to be with my Blair. I could-n't be hap-pi-er____  No, I could-n't be hap-pi-er______. 

In case you don't know, I Couldn't Be Happier, is a song from Wicked

Wickedly Happy tonight,
Gayla







 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment