Friday, October 25, 2013

Garden of Pansies and A Little Dirt Never Hurt Anyone...

~~The Gayla Pink Apple~~
 
Celebrating two birthdays today with lunch at my house. You're probably thinking that I celebrate a lot of birthdays, since I blog about them often. Yes, I do! As a matter of fact, I enjoy doing it. I also like not getting up everyday to go to the office / job. That allows me to have my friends and family for lunch, dinner, or whatever occasion arises.

The birthday girls -  Regenia and Beth share the same birthday - October 17th - and we celebrated them today.
 Happy Birthday Regenia
Happy Birthday Beth
 
Today was what I call a fun garden of pansies and a little dirt.
 A little garden of pansies!
Close up view of purple pansies in little yellow watering can! 
Oversized purple chargers with yellow dishes fit perfectly
with the purple and yellow pansies. 
I thought it was very fitting to use pansies today in lieu of cut flowers.  Using a purple and yellow color pallet reminds me of fall - yet - not the typical pumpkin orange you think of for October.   I adore the purple and yellow pansies, with big oversize purple chargers, and my yellow dishes for today's lunch.  The yellow dishes I've had since 1981 - I received them when I got married. 
Close up view of yellow pansies in miniature purple garden tub
A little bite of dirt never hurt anyone, right?  "Dirt Cake" for dessert tops off our little garden fun luncheon.  A big hard sugar candy flower for garnish.  The oreo dirt cake is so easy, fun, and tasty, too!  As for the hard sugar candy garnish - well, it's technically edible, but I don't recommend it. 
Our dessert today - Oreo Dirt Cake in miniature purple garden tub,
garnished with sugar candy flowers.
I've made these dirt cakes in the past and they are always delicious and fun to decorate.  Years ago, my sister and I made individual dirt cakes in miniature clay flower pots - gosh, I think we made about 100 of them.  We used gummy worms as garnish - aka worms crawling in the dirt.  It was exhausting, making so many at a time, and for years, I had no desire to make them again.  Today's dirt cakes were in miniature purple garden tubs - how cute are these?  
Beth and Me at the luncheon today. 
Three girls / gals / ladies / women - whichever term fits - enjoying lunch - talking, laughing, and catching up.
Regenia and Me at the luncheon today!
I think we are all of these -- we are GIRLS - we are GALS - we are LADIES - and we are WOMEN! 
Happy Birthday Beth and Regenia!
Today, I'm going with Happy Birthday to these two LADIES!!  Both of these ladies are gracious and kind with a lot of dedication to their families, churches, and friends.  Happy Birthday Beth and Regenia!

With Love,
Gayla


 


No comments:

Post a Comment