Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Backyard Rejuvenation Complete!

The Gayla Pink Apple
 
Several weeks ago, I went on a rampage revamping my neglected backyard.  I hate to use the word neglected - but it is the word that fits.  For the past five or more years we let the yard go.  I've written several blog posts, along the way, about the backyard revamp - so forgive me for repeating myself here.

Since I am no longer working outside the home - which by the way, I've always considered myself a stay-at-home Mom - I now have time and no excuse not to help with the yard, so, I decided to take on the backyard.  The entire yard hasn't been overhauled, -- a lot has been done and it's all I can take on this year.  So, for now, I'm finished. 

On a side comment... I became a stay-at-home Mom when my daughter turned two years old.  I didn't work outside the home for many years.  My association with a couple organizations during her young years were either volunteer work or part-time with hours of 9am-1pm.  I was always at home when she wasn't in school.  Then, I returned to work outside the home (full time) in 2005 and continued working until June 2011.  So, there's the five plus years of neglecting the backyard (LOL.)  In addition, I went through breast cancer surgeries and treatment in 2005 - another period of time where the yard was not a priority. 

So, back to the topic...I had no idea what to do with this backyard - I just knew something, repeat something, had to be done.  I dug up weeds with a hand tool.  I've hauled bricks and edged walkways with them.  I've hauled and placed pavers to extend and add new walkways.  I've transplanted perennials - digging them up from one spot and replanting somewhere else.  I've planted a few new shrubs and flowers.  Planted urns with annuals to bloom for the summer.  Added a couple nice comfortable patio chairs; brought back an old birdbath to life with a new birdbath bowl; and converted a huge birdbath fountain into a planter with flowers now blooming in it.  I've mulched, fertilized and watered, oh dear, watering -- water, water, water! 

I think it is now time to just sit back and enjoy - well, wait a minute - there is this thing called maintaining it all.  So, I guess now it is really time to find a routine of weeding, fertilizing, and watering, while sitting back and enjoying it all.  Darn, seems I just created work for myself!  Oh well, goodbye unsightly yard and hello to oscomote, preen, and watering hoses!
Flowers planted in Urn
 
The large birdbath fountain converted to a planter with begonias blooming.
Flowerpot renewed and planted
 
Old birdbath brought back to life!
 
Walkways edged with bricks
 
Walkway out to Casey's Blooms
 
Walkway to lower level
 
New Patio Chairs
 
If you ring my doorbell and no answer, just come around to the back yard --  I'll be sitting and chatting with Alvin and Theodore (my little backyard chipmunks) - after I've weeded, fertilized, and watered.  Oh, and...NO, I do not like yard work.  Ugg, now...why did I do all this?  What was wrong with a few weeds, anyway?  You know...it's kind of like exercising - I like having done it, but I don't like doing it, however, it feels good after I'm finished. 

Weeding, fertilizing, and watering,
Gayla




No comments:

Post a Comment