Friday, December 14, 2012

Eleven Days Til Christmas

 
The Gayla Pink Apple
 
************************* 
Eleven Days Til Christmas
I decided to share a Christmas memory each day for the 12 days leading up to Christmas day. There's no order - just a random Christmas thought or memory --- today it's 11 days til...
 
A Gayla Childhood Memory

We called my grandparents on my father's side of the family Nannaw and Pawpaw.  Christmas with this side of my family was on Christmas Day.  I don't recall much about gifts and a Christmas tree. My grandmother (Nannaw) died when I was in high school and my memories of her are somewhat vague. She was ill a big part of my young life.  She was once in the hospital over 365 days straight and we went to her hospital room at Christmas that year.   She died fairly young, with a heart condition, which I believe today would be routinely corrected by surgery.  What I remember are ham, coconut cake, fiesta dishes and that the living room was always very hot!

Fiesta dishes - a different color plate at each place setting at the dining table.  Cool, I thought.  Sometimes I would decide where I wanted to sit based on what color plate was there, or at least that's what I'd do if given the chance!  My father inherited his mother's fiesta dishes (which were made in the 1950's) and he gave them to me.  I have them today and they are one of my most precious memories of my grandmother (Nannaw.) Back in the 1950's, they were ordinary dishes - today, they are highly collectible.  I'm not into collecting them, but do appreciate them, and they are a wonderful memory of my grandmother.

A few years ago, I invited my dad and his two siblings and spouses to my house during the Christmas season.  My house was decorated for Christmas and I served our dinner from my grandmother's fiesta dinnerware.  I thought it would be fun for my dad, his brother and sister to eat from their mother's dishes. 

Ham!  My grandfather (Pawpaw) usually did the cooking and he baked the best ham in the world.  I've often tried to figure out why his ham was so good - was it a particular kind - did he do something to it to make it so good - but supposedly no, he just put it in the oven and baked it.  I still do not have his secret figured out.  I sort of think his ham was so good because he baked it in his old gas oven - idk!
PawPaw and Me 1980's -not sure what year
 
Coconut Cake - the best coconut cake in the world to me - my mother usually took it -  We can't recall which cake recipe she used.  I've given up trying to re-create the cake.

Hot - the living room in their home was sooooo hot.  There was a little small open flame stove in the living room, but man oh man, it could put out some heat.  And, my grandparents turned the 'fire' up so high we would be burning up hot! You would have to walk out on the front porch to cool off and then go back inside.

My Nannaw and Pawpaw were very dedicated to their church and when I think about them, I think of their faith in God, going to their church, seeing my grandmother dressed up in her Sunday best, usually with gloves and a hat, and my grandfather, a very tall man, always there. He was always very dedicated to her. 
PawPaw and Me
 
I got married in 1981 and my grandfather - who lived alone - drove himself from Greenbrier to downtown Little Rock to buy himself a new suit for my wedding.  He bought two!  I love that - he was 77 yrs old at the time.  Makes me smile thinking about it.  His actions spoke louder than words that day - he wanted to make sure he looked nice for the event!  Cute, huh? He died in 1992 at age 88.  I carry much admiration, love, and respect for him. 

Hope you are enjoying this Christmas season.  Have you been naughty or nice?
I just had to add a Santa hat to his picture for this blog! 
Santa Claus is coming to town,
Gayla 

No comments:

Post a Comment