Monday, December 10, 2012

Pink Ornaments

The Gayla Pink Apple
******************
 
Pink Ornaments!
But, not just any pink ornaments!
 
 
I'm a fan of the color pink.  However, it is not my favorite color - although kind of hard to tell since my blog is pink and called The Gayla Pink Apple (that's another topic.)  But, pink ornaments on my tree?  I realize some people use non-traditional Christmas colors for their tree and they are beautiful. But, for me, I usually stay with the traditional colors - red, green, gold, and silver!  Uhhhh, not really keen on pink on my tree - but, I changed my mind, as these are not just any pink ornaments.  It's ok for me to have some pink ornaments and especially when they are significant. 
 
As most of you know, I am a breast cancer survivor.  Therefore, I have several pink ornaments on the Christmas tree representing each year of my being a breast cancer survivor.  At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about pink ornaments being on the tree.  I quickly discovered they blend nicely and I love each one.
The miniature sweater with the pink breast cancer ribbon symbol represents 2005 SGK Race for the Cure event.  The year of my diagnosis - the year of surgery - the year of chemotherapy! 
 
One Year Mark!  Wearing my wig.  This photo of my daughter and me was taken by SGK Foundation photographer and used as table decorations at the 2006 Pasta Party, Susan G Komen Race for the Cure event.  Photo made into an ornament for the tree. 
 
Two Year Mark! Lady wearing pink headband and pink breast cancer ribbon symbol represents my 2007 SGK Race for the Cure.  Radko ornament Faith Hopewell.

Three Year Mark!  Ladies lace up boot with bouquet of flowers on top and the pink breast cancer ribbon symbol represents my 2008 SGK Race for the Cure. Radko ornament High-Buttons Blooms.
 
Four Year Mark!  Pink egg shaped ornament with the pink wrist band I wore during the 2009 SGK Race for the Cure.  The beautiful pink ornament was attached to a Christmas gift and I added my wrist band around it and put it on the tree!  Semi-homemade!

Five Year Mark!  Big year!  When you reach the five year mark, as a survivor, you are considered cancer free!  Body of flowers with pink breast cancer ribbon symbol represents my 2010 SGK race for the cure event. Radko ornament Buoyant Bloom.

Six Year Mark!   Pink sneaker ornament with the pink breast cancer ribbon symbol represents my 2011- this was the first year I actually ran the SGK race for the cure instead of walking it.  Radko ornament Fit for Walking.

Seven Year Mark!  Santa in pink running suit with pink headband and pink breast cancer ribbon symbol on Santa's clothing represents 2012.  The year I ran the SGK Race for the Cure 5K- Greater New York - Central Park in New York City. Radko ornament Pink Power Walk.

So, pink ornaments on my tree - yes, absolutely YES!
SURVIVOR
TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONLY ONE PERSON
BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD

This may seem somewhat too personal of a post to share - but that's just me!  I love them all and enjoy sharing them with all. 
 
 
Strutting my pink,
Santa Claus is coming to town,
Gayla







 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment