Saturday, December 15, 2012

Ten Days Til Christmas

The Gayla Pink Apple
 
**************************
Ten Days Til Christmas
I decided to share a Christmas memory each day for the 12 days leading up to Christmas day. There's no order - just a random Christmas thought or memory --- today it's 10 days til...
 
A Gayla Childhood Memory

Christmas Eve night was always my mother's side of the family.   We lived close to them and saw them almost daily.  I have great memories growing up and Christmases with this side of the family because, when I was young, I spent a lot of time with my grandmother - Momma Dee.  

I worked with her at the shoe store all throughout my young life.  At Christmas everyone in the family got a new pair of shoes.  She would have every person come by the shoe store and pick out their shoes for Christmas.  She would wrap them in Christmas wrap - did not write anyone's name on the packages - but she knew which shoe box belonged to whom.  Sometimes she got them mixed up, but not often. 

Momma Dee and I always worked Christmas Eve.  When we would get home all the family would be at her house waiting on us.  It would be dark outside - excitement in my heart - her face smiling because it was Christmas at her house.  I still feel the cold air on my face - tired from working at the shoe store - but renewed energy would fill my body when I stepped out of the vehicle and walked into her house.  The smell of her fresh cedar Christmas tree -  Aunts / uncles / cousins gathered in her tiny house - it was shoulder-to-shoulder people. 
Ornament I made with Momma Dee's Photo
This ornament takes front center on my tree each year!
I loved being with her regardless of what day it was. 

My grandfather, whom we called Papaw Willie, was diagnosed with Parkinson disease in his early senior years.  Most of my memories of him are his illness and how it ravaged his body and mind, and what a horrific death the disease gave him.  He passed away in 1988.  A wonderful thing I recall about him was his dedication to his church and he served as a deacon in our church.  Momma Dee played the piano and they both were very dedicated to the community, church and God.  He chewed doublemint gum ALL THE TIME.  At Christmas, kids would buy him a big carton of doublemint gum under the Christmas tree.  He was a tall handsome man with a mischievous smile. 

Christmas at Momma Dee and Papaw Willie's was all about FOOD!  My oh my, so much food!  She was a wonderful cook and well known in the church and community for her cooking - especially homemade rolls and pies! 
She would bake the rolls to a darker color for me
because I wanted them darker!

The men sat at the dining table in the small kitchen, the adult women stood up and ate holding their plate in their hands, or waited until the men were finished and left the table, then the women would sit down and eat.   I would not dare allow that in my house today!  The kids ate from card tables in the living room or a bedroom.   It was a house packed with people and FOOD!  I can see my Momma Dee in the kitchen cooking and hear her laughing. 

Momma Dee always told my sister and me that we were pretty!  LOL!   So, naturally we love love loved her!  I think she might have been a little partial to us two granddaughters.  Shhhhh, don't tell anyone I said that!  She had a lot of pride and wanted to put her best foot forward, so to speak!  She put on make up and lip stick and wanted to dress nicely.  We used to say she would "fix her face."  She did not drive!  She never learned to drive.  After my grandfather was no longer able to drive due to his parkinson disease, someone picked her up and drove her.  Sometimes she would come out of the house and get in the car with a makeup line.  Do you know what I mean by that?  We would tell her and she'd smooth it out evenly and just laugh.  Even in her later years, she wanted to put her clothes on every day - she did not want to sit around in her gown or house coat, as she called it - I call it a robe.   She loved to laugh - my oh my - we would giggle, giggle, and giggle together!  She loved life, people, friends,  family, and church!   She passed away at the age of 91 in 2009 - I miss her terribly! 

Hope you are enjoying this Christmas season.  Have you been naughty or nice?  He's making his list and checking it twice!
Santa Claus is coming to town,
Gayla

No comments:

Post a Comment