Monday, December 17, 2012

Eight Days til Christmas

The Gayla Pink Apple
 
***************************
Eight Days Til Christmas
I decided to share a Christmas memory each day for the 12 days leading up to Christmas day. There's no order - just a random Christmas thought or memory --- today it's 8 days til...
 
 
Arkansas Art Center
Children's Theatre
 
Dianne and I took my daughter to the Arkansas Art Center to see a play at the Children's Theatre every month during their season and that included the month of December.  I think my daughter was around 4 years old when we started this tradition with Dianne.  It was an outing we looked forward to every month, and especially at Christmas.  We dressed up in our Christmas attire and would go out to dinner before the play.  Dianne was great fun and my daughter absolutely adored and loved her. 
Dianne and Blair
 
Often, I'd cook dinner for us - I'd set the table with my Christmas dishes and spend most of the day preparing and cooking.  I wanted to make the dinner special - not just throwing something together to fill our stomachs.  It had to say Christmas special guest and special evening.  Once, I was running out of time and felt a bit out of control, trying to figure out what to cook and get everything done.  I decided I'd order take out from one of my favorite Italian restaurants.  I ordered three entrees of the same dish - brought them home - dumped them into a big pot to keep it warm.  Wallah!!!! Dinner's ready.  Table set beautifully.  Christmas in the air.  Decorations gorgeous.  December cold temp outside.  Sounds perfect to me!!

Dinner was yummy!  Dianne compliments the meal several times and I kindly said thank you - playing down the compliment a little bit - since I didn't really prepare it.  My daughter looks at me with her sweet little eyes and gentle smile and says, "Mommy, don't you have something to tell Dianne?"   I ignored the comment and changed the subject - not giving her too much attention negative or positive.  You know, kind of just skimming over what my daughter just said to me.
 
My daughter looks at me again with her sweet little eyes and smile and says, "Mommy, don't you have something to tell Dainne?"  I ignored the comment and changed the subject.
 
FINALLY, third time is the charm!  She looks at me again and say,  "MOMMY, don't you have something to tell Dainne?"  "Oh Yes, thank you Dianne - I picked up our dinner tonight at Macaroni Grill instead of cooking myself and I am so glad you love it.   It is one of my favorites there."    Whew, as a mother, I had to either demonstrate a truth or a lie.  I knew those little eyes and ears were watching and listening to every word I said!!!!!!!!  A Merry Christmas evening it was indeed - it was a great night at the Children's Theatre and a fabulous meal thanks to both Macaroni Grill and me!

Regardless of how and where dinner came from, my daughter and I loved going to the Children's Theatre with Dianne for many years - about ten years or so.  It was always a special evening for the three of us girls!  Dianne doted over my daughter with much attention.  Our Christmas Girls Night Out was always great fun, much loved, and a very fond memory!

If you have a young child or grandchild, season tickets to the Children's Theatre at the Arkansas Art Center is a fantastic way to have a special evening out together.  You can check it out at www.arkarts.com/childrens_theatre .  Sometimes children see the play with their school class - but - it isn't the same as an outing with just you and that special child in your life or family.  Going with a group or going with a parent or grandparent - well, no need for me to say more.  We know which is most special!

Merry Christmas!  Have you been naughty or nice?  He knows if you've been good or bad, so be good for goodness sake!
Santa Claus is coming to town,
Gayla
 


No comments:

Post a Comment