Friday, December 21, 2012

Four Days Til Christmas

The Gayla Pink Apple
 
******************************** 
Four Days Til Christmas
 I decided to share a Christmas memory each day for the 12 days leading up to Christmas day. There's no order - just a random Christmas thought or memory -- today it is 4 days til...

Gayla's Childhood Memories
 
  My Baby Doll - Thumbelina

My thumbelina doll!!   As a young child, I received a thumbelina doll for Christmas.  She was so soft, cuddly, and I absolutely love love loved her.  Thumbelina felt just like a real baby to me!  I sort of wish I still had her today! :)
 
************
 Hundred Dollar Bill
 
$100 dollar bill...One year I received a $100 bill which was placed on a tree branch in our Christmas tree.  That was (and still is) a lot of money to me.  I loved the fact that it was sitting on a tree branch.  Just a fun memory of a Christmas morning.
 ************
Cedar Trees
 
cedar tree picture
 
As most of you know, I grew up in the country, as you can imagine, we cut our Christmas tree from the pasture/field/land and it was always a cedar tree.  It smelled wonderful - I love the smell of a fresh cedar tree.  However, they are prickly and not fun to touch.  It is a big deal to water it daily and, of course, we didn't put it up very early.  Our tree was usually decorated with gold Christmas ornaments and silver icicles - do you remember the silver tinsel icicles?  We thought they were cool!  We also used multi-color lights.  Our tree stood proudly in front of the big window of our living room.  It was a big deal to make sure you could see the tree in the window from the road! 

Since both sets of grandparents were living during my youth, our Christmas Eve was with my mother's side of the family and Christmas Day with my father's side of the family. I do not recall a lot of time with just my parents and my sister - just hanging around at home because we had so many places to go. 

************
Church
My childhood is filled to the brim with church memories.  Seems we were in church every time the doors were open.  I joke that I attended church enough before I graduated high school to last me a lifetime.  As much of a teasing comment as it is - there is an element of truth in that comment - it illustrates that our lives were centered around Sunday School and church.  My mother played the church organ (and still does) and my grandmother the church piano.  As young girls, my sister and I sat on the front church pew.  Christmas music - I can still hear the music now.  Christian Christmas songs - Silent Night, Away in a Manger, Oh Holy Night, pop in my mind right now.  Joking aside, this is definitely where my deep Christian roots and unending faith in God comes from.  

Hope you are enjoying this holiday season!  Have you been naughty or nice? 
Santa Claus is coming to town,
Gayla
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment