Monday, December 24, 2012

It's Christmas Eve - Did You See Dat?

The Gayla Pink Apple
 
******************************
Christmas Eve
Did You See Dat? Dat Was Santa! 
I decided to share a Christmas memory each day for the 12 days leading up to Christmas day. There's no order - just a random Christmas thought or memory --- today it is Christmas Eve.

Sleeping Under the Christmas Tree
and Santa Shows Up
 
My daughter and I would often sleep in our sleeping bags under the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve.  Seems we would fall asleep and never hear Santa when he came into our home and left gifts under the tree.  He'd eat the cookies and drink the milk she left for him - but, darn, we were always sleeping.
Blair as a little girl sleeping under the tree! 
But, one year, my oh my!  We did our usual gathering our gear - our sleeping bags and pillows - setting out cookies and milk.  (She was very very young - probably around 4 years old. I don't remember the exact year!)  Reading Christmas stories and then trying to fall asleep to soft Christmas music.  All of a sudden, there was a commotion - banging and clanging - on the front porch.  My daughter's eyes big as golf balls - her body frozen still while she slowly tilts her head and leans her ear to the entry!   "Oh my, it might be Santa!  quick get under the covers and pretend you are sleeping," she says to me.  We slowly scrunch down in our sleeping bags.
 
Sure enough, our front door opens.  The Christmas bells hanging on the door knob jiggle loudly.  Santa doesn't even attempt to be quiet - he makes all kinds of noise.  He is wearing a red suit, has a white beard and wearing his red santa hat.  He has his bag of toys with him.  Santa makes his way into our living room, sits down gifts for a little girl, eats his cookies and takes a sip of milk.  Poof off he goes - out the door - on to the next child's house.  As he goes out the door he turns and looks back at us and says "Merry Christmas Blair!" 
 
My daughter looks at me with disbelief and says "Mommy, Did you see dat? Dat was Santa!"  Need I say more?
Blair giving Santa on the tree a little kiss on the cheek!  
I have no idea if my daughter closed her eyes or if she took in his every moment.  I, of course, watched every move with a big smile on my face and much love in my heart. 
 
I thought we'd never fall asleep that very special Christmas Eve night!  One of my best memories frozen in my mind and heart! 
Loving Christmas! 
Did you see dat? Dat was Santa,
Gayla 

No comments:

Post a Comment