Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Eggnog or "The Recipe?"

The Gayla Pink Apple
***********************
Eggnog
or
"The Recipe"

 

 
Are you a fan? Do you like eggnog?
 
 
I find most people either love eggnog or hate it.  Either way, it is a traditional holiday drink.  I have always wanted to love eggnog.  I think it is festive and for some reason, I really really want to love it, but I don't.  I used to think it was because I just didn't have GOOD eggnog - or have yet to discover just the right recipe for me.  Maybe so, maybe not - I'm at the stage I think I must face it - I don't love it!  Yes, I can drink it, but just not my fav.
 
I know the basic recipe is eggs, sugar, milk, cream, some kind of spirit (whiskey, brandy or rum) and a dash of cinnamon.   I think of homemade ice cream when I read these basic ingredients so why do I not love eggnog! 
 
I say I'm going to find the perfect recipe, but it doesn't happen. I set my beautiful punch bowl out every year with every intention to fill it with this holiday festive concoction - eggnog. It doesn't happen.   Eggnog is such a holiday favorite - but I'm nogless!  I use the term nogless to say that I prefer other holiday drinks at Christmas time such as "The Recipe."
 
Ready for eggnog or some kind of holiday libation !
 
 
"The Recipe"
 
A wonderful lady from the Garden Club Council was known for her holiday drink - it was a hot drink - typical smell of cloves and cinnamon - red - festive.  There are many recipes - hot ciders of all types - but, Norma's was the best.  I loved it.   I asked her about the drink and she shares the recipe.  I carefully write down all the ingredients and instructions.  She shares with me her little 'touch' that, in her opinion, makes hers better than many other recipes. "What's the name of this drink?" I asked. "The Recipe," she says.   Confusion and a little puzzled look on my face and she laughs and says, yes, "The Recipe." 
 
So, that's what I wrote on my paper and ten years later, I'm still using this hot holiday wonderful red drink "The Recipe."  Oh, and the secret, you wonder?  It must be made in a percolator! You know, the old fashioned coffee pot or urn which percolates.   It can be made in a drip coffee maker or in a pan on top of the stove, but it will NOT taste the same.  Yes, I tested it.  I didn't believe that it would make a difference, but, Norma was right! 
 
So, nogless, indeed, I am - but, I have "The Recipe."  So goodbye eggs, sugar, and milk and hello to Mr. Percolator and "The Recipe" - a concoction of cranberry, apple, cinnamon and cloves to warm my insides on a cold December evening at Christmas!
 
I may be nogless, but I have red lips,
Cheers,
Gayla
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment